VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMENS ACT/VAWA
VAWA offers protection to domestic violence victims, including children, parents, and current/former spouses of abusive U.S. Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents, by allowing the victims to self petition for a green card or permanent residence without requiring the abusers sponsorship.
To qualify under VAWA's self-petition relief, a victim must prove he/she:
- is the spouse, parent or child of an abusive U.S. Citizen or Legal Permanent Resident/ LPR
- has resided with the perpetrator/abuser
- is a person of good moral character, and
- have been victims of domestic violence, including battery
Relief under VAWA provides several benefits to victims, including;
- temporary immigration status
- employment authorization
- access to public benefits, and
- a pathway to lawful permanent resident status and eventually citizenship
Relief under VAWA allows victims of domestic violence to escape violence and live safely and independently. Qualifying family members of the victim may be eligible to enjoy the benefits as well. If you are interested in learning if VAWA is an option for you, schedule a consultation at aflawgroup.com or call 7184899559.